STEP 2 - Install Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith using the 64-bit Alternate Installers
STEP 3 - Issues Launching Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith
STEP 4 - Checking your Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith 3D Acceleration Settings PRIOR to your first game
STEP 5 - Testing Jedi Knight and Mysteries and Looking for Graphic Problems
STEP 6 - 3D Acceleration Fixes - DirectX Wrappers (Optional, depends on your Graphics Card and Operating System)
STEP 7 - Patching your Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith for Jedi Knight Enhanced and Jedi Knight Retexture Pack
STEP 8 - Change your router settings to Port Forward or DMZ to Host and Join Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Games
STEP 9 - Playing Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Online - Hosting and Joining Games
STEP 10 - Live Support Team for Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith
18 player Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 game.
Windows 8 64-Bit AMD GPU running 1997 OEM Jedi Knight at 1920x1080 60FPS, with Jedi Knight Enhanced and Retexture Pack.
Refer to our guide Playing Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Online - Hosting and Joining Games.
There are a wide variety of reasons you should not use the Steam or GOG Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith installations. There are a lot of problems with both.
- Steam and GOG use a modified JK.EXE that is not compatible with community patches required for Jedi Knight Enhanced, Jedi Knight Rebirth, and the JK Unofficial Patch.
- Steam is missing the original game soundtrack and the joystick profiles.
- Steam and GOG do not provide the required DirectPlay registry keys to play Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith on DirectPlay gaming services such as Voobly or GameRanger.
Detailed File Comparison - JK 1997 OEM, Steam, GOG, and 64-Bit Installations
If you already have the Steam or GOG Distributions of these games, please follow these guides to uninstall:
- GOG Jedi Knight Uninstallation Guide
- GOG Mysteries of the Sith Uninstallation Guide
- Steam Jedi Knight Uninstallation Guide
- Steam Mysteries of the Sith Uninstallation Guide
We provide original distributions of both Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith in .ISO (Disc Image) formats. These are the original 1997 and 1998 distributions of both games.
- Download Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 1997 Original Distribution (Disc 1): http://jkdf2.com/files/jkdf2disc1.iso
- Download Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 1997 Original Distribution (Disc 2): http://jkdf2.com/files/jkdf2disc2.iso
- Download Mysteries of The Sith Expansion 1998 Original Distribution: http://jkdf2.com/files/mots.iso
- Download Daemon Tools Lite to mount the ISO files as virtual discs: http://jkdf2.com/files/DTLite501-0406.exe
It is not possible to use the original LucasArts installer on the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Discs when using 64-Bit systems. There are two different installers available for installing these games. You must have the game installation disc mounted on your computer to use with this installer.
- Download Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 64-Bit Installer: http://jkdf2.com/files/JediSetup.exe
- Download Mysteries of the Sith 64-Bit Installer: http://jkdf2.com/files/SithSetup.exe
There are a few things you need to know about problems related to launching Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith for the first time. Under certain circumstances, these games may crash immediately or produce several different errors. You absolutely MUST launch Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith using the -windowgui command line switch. This is easy to do with a modification of your Jedi Knight shortcut.Click below for a step-by step tutorial to launch Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith using -windowgui.
When you launch Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith for the first time, the opening cutscene will play (Press the ESC key on your keyboard to skip cutscenes). Once the cutscene finishes or is skipped, you will be prompted to create a new player. Once you have created a new player at the start, go to Setup (This is where you will check your Display settings for 3D Acceleration)Important Note: If you do not check your 3D Accelleration Settings PRIOR to your first game, the game may crash immediately upon starting your first game.
There are two important things to understand about configuring Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith for 3D Acelleration.
- You should be able to use 3D Acceleration (Hardware Mode) without any issues. However, you may require the one of the 3D Acceleration Fixes.
- You should be able to play at the maximum possible resolution (Your desktop resolution). There is no reason to play these games at any resolution less than the full resolution. Again, you may require one of the 3D Accelleration Fixes to properly enable 3D Acceleration and choose your maximum resolution.
- 3D Accelleration: This box should be CHECKED.
- Resolution: This should be consistent with your Windows Desktop Resolution. The 16bpp suffix indicates that you have enabled 3D Acceleration for that resolution.
After choosing "New Game", and watching or skipping past the cutscenes, you will start at the beginning of the level. At this point you need to look for any graphic issues that may need to be corrected.
Examples of Graphic Problems:
- The game Crashes Immediately - Windows Error "JK.EXE Has Stopped Working." "Check for Solutions Online"
- Graphical clipping, blurring, or other visual issue
- Black Screen (HUD is sometimes visible with black screen).
- Border Flickering
If the game crashed, sometimes you will need to use Windows Task Manager to terminate the game as the Game Window may be frozen in the background or the crashed game may be affecting your Windows Desktop Environment.
- Press CTRL-ALT-DEL keybord command.
- Choose "Task Manager"
- In the Applications Tab, select "Jedi Knight" or "Mysteries of the Sith" and then click "End Task" to close the game.
- (Optional) If ending the task in the Applications tab does not work, go to the "Processes" tab of Task Manager and select JK.EXE or JKM.EXE. Then click "End Process" to terminate the process.
There are some very important things to know about 3D Acceleration with Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. There is a great deal of confusion surrounding this subject so our intention is to make this very clear.
- Out of the Box NVIDIA vs. AMD Graphics Card Support: On modern systems (Windows 7/Vista/8, 64-bit) NVIDIA Graphics Cards almost always work better with a JK/MotS installation than a AMD Graphics Card. NVIDIA systems are more likely to work "Out of the box" with no DirectX fixes for either game. We believe this is related to how NVIDIA has developed their driver packages and updates for their graphics cards.
- AMD Graphics Cards: Will not support Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith UNLESS you use Catalyst 13.1 or PRIOR drivers. Fortunately, there is a fix for this that does not require uninstalling your newer catalyst drivers.
- NVIDIA Graphics Cards: There are no NVIDIA specific patches for Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith.
- 3D Acelleration Patches Explained: All 3D Acelleration Patches for Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith are DirectX wrappers, for the DirectDraw AND/OR Direct3D function calls that are used in the JK/MotS game engines.
Download JK/MotS AMD Fix: http://jkdf2.com/files/JK_AMD_FIX.7z
Extract contents to your Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith folder.
This Fix includes the following files:
There are several actual 3D Accelleration DirectX fixes for Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. You have three options. Because these fixes all contain unique versions of the same files, We strongly recommend that you do not attempt to use a combination of two and/or more of these patches.
JKHUB.NET DDRAW.DLL JK/MotS 3D Acelleration Fix - ddraw_(hack_viewport3_clear2).zip
This is a ddraw.dll DirectX DirectDraw wrapper designed specifically to deal with the function calls used in Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. This fix will work for some users, but not all users.
The Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith 64-Bit Installers will install this file into your game directory by DEFAULT. It is very important to be aware of this. This means that you may want to attempt to run the game with, and without the DDRAW.DLL to determine the result BEFORE trying other patches.
This Fix includes the following files:
DGVoodoo v2.42 D3DIMM.DLL + DDRAW.DLL DirectX/Direct3D Wrapper
This was not designed specifically for Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith, but for older games in general. It works fantastic for many users and permits high resolution 3D hardware acceleration in both games.
On newer, very large, Jedi Knight maps that require the JK Unofficial Patch, we have observed Frame Rate drop when using the DGVoodoo Wrapper.
This Fix includes the following files:
- DGVOODOO.CONF (This is required because by default, with no configuration file, DGVOODOO includes a watermark when playing the game using the wrapper)
- DGVOODOOSETUP.EXE (Configuration utility for dgVoodoo Wrapper)
dgVoodoo Website: http://dege.freeweb.hu/
The "JK Unofficial Patch" has always been a patch for JK.EXE that included a JK-EXTENSION.DLL. What's unique about this patch is that it is only a DDRAW.DLL meaning that it is a DirectDraw wrapper coded by ZeqMacaw specifically for Jedi Knight. This wrapper has not been widely tested but is worth trying as a last resort. We will update this article with additional information as we do more testing.
This Fix includes the following files:
Please make us aware of other DirectX Wrappers that you have tested with Jedi Knight and/or Mysteries of the Sith.
There are several reasons to patch your Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. These are unrelated to the 3D Acceleration Fixes, which are simply additional .DLL files that are added to your Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith Installation Folders.Patching your Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith requires two things.
- Using a patcher utility to modify your JK.EXE or JKM.EXE
- Adding some new files to your Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Installation Folders (New Dynamic Link Libraries for JK.EXE and JKM.EXE)
The JKHUB.NET distribution of the JK Unofficial Patch requires you to use their patch utility to modify JK.EXE. Many users have reported issues with this patch utility corrupting their game executable. After using patcher.bat users may recieve the following error when attempting to launch Jedi Knight: "JK.EXE is not a valid Win32 application". Because of this issue we are choosing to distribute an ALREADY patched JK.EXE to avoid this issue.
The Jedi Knight Unofficial Patch consists of the following files:
The Mysteries of the Sith Unofficial Patch consists of the following files:
Download the Pre-Patched Jedi Knight Unofficial Patch (Version 2008-01-16)
Download the Pre-Patched Mysteries of the Sith Unofficial Patch (Version 2008-06-28)
Installing Jedi Knight Enhanced and Jedi Knight Retexture Pack
Jedi Knight Enhanced is a massive graphical improvement to Jedi Knight's models. Additionally, Jedi Knight Retexture Pack makes enormous improvements in quality to Jedi Knight's textures. Both modifications require the JK Unofficial Patch. Jedi Knight Enhanced is currently distributed by JKHUB.net with an outdated version of the JK Unofficial Patch, and the Jedi Knight Retexture Pack does not include it at all. We have combined these two Jedi Knight modifications in a single zip archive for convenience. We also have developed easier installation instructions for users.
Download Jedi Knight Retexture Pack v0.2a + Jedi Knight Enhanced v1.0
Extract the contents of this ZIP archive to the RESOURCE subfolder of your Jedi Knight directory.
For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\RESOURCE
Launch Jedi Knight as you normally would (with the -windowgui setting applied).
Configuring your router to host and join Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith games is a requirement to play Multiplayer Games online and is very easy to do.You have options for how to configure your router to play Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith.
To change your router settings, you need to know three things.
- Your Router IP Address (Your Gateway IP Address)
- Your Local IP Address (The IP assigned to your computer by your router)
- Your Router Username and Password
You can then complete the following steps:
- Visit the IP address of your router using your web broswer. Example: http://192.168.1.1
- Log in using the username and password.
- Enable DMZ for your Local IP Address (Easiest method, only if you don't already have port forwarding rules)
- Port Forward the Required Ports - 2300-2400 TCP and UDP (all players) 47624 TCP and UDP (only for hosting)
While mIRC is a highly advanced, useful IRC client, Some users may prefer not to use mIRC. You can also connect to the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith community channel using your web browser by visiting the GameSurge IRC applet at the following address:
Once you are connected, type (wthout quotes) "/join #jk". You will have now entered the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith community channel.
JKDF2.COM has a highly skilled support team of experienced Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith players who are available 24/7 to help you get your game working.We strongly recommend that you install Skype and TeamViewer so that we can effectively communicate and work with you to resolve the problem you are experiencing. You will need a few things for us to properly provide you with support.
- Download: mIRC Internet Relay Chat Client (Required to find and play games with the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Community)
- Download: Skype Voice Chat Client (Optional, requires a microphone allows our support team to effectively communicate with you to resolve your issue)
- Download: TeamViewer Remote Support Client (TeamViewer allows you to give us temporary control of your computer during a remote support session)
- Installation Problems
- Game Launching/Crashing Problems
- Windows XP/7/Vista/8 Support Issues
- 3D Acceleration/Graphic Problems
- Router Configuration/Port Forwarding
- Applying Game Patches
- Installing Jedi Knight Enhanced and Jedi Knight Retexture Pack
- Installing and Using Community Maps and Modifications
To help us assist you, please read the guide Using DXDIAG to obtain troubleshooting information about your system.