While mIRC is a highly advanced, useful IRC client, Some users may prefer not to use mIRC. You can also connect to the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith community channel using your web browser by visiting the GameSurge IRC applet at the following address:
Once you are connected, type (wthout quotes) "/join #jk". You will have now entered the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith community channel.
mIRC Installation Instructions
- Download mIRC from the following URL: http://download.cnet.com/mIRC/3000-2150_4-10001733.html?part=dl-50355&subj=dl&tag=button
- Install mIRC.
- Launch mIRC. Because mIRC is shareware, you will need to click "Continue" to continue past a window that asks you if you want to buy the full version.
- Type (without the quotes) "/server irc.gamesurge.net". Give mIRC a few seconds to connect to the server.
- Type (without the quotes) "/join #jk" to join the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Community Channel
You may find it much more convenient to configure mIRC to automatically connect to the IRC server and join the channel. The instructions are as follows.
- When launching for the first time, the mIRC Options Window will appear. Under "Connect" fill out the fields Nickname, Alternative, Name, and Email.
- In the mIRC Options Window, on the left side click "Options".
- Check the option "Connect on startup", and click "Perform..." to the right.
- Check the option box "Enable perform on connect".
- Under "Networks", click "Add".
- Scroll down to "GameSurge", click "GameSurge" to select and click OK.
- Under "perform commands", type the following (without quotes): "/join #jk". Click OK.
- Close and relaunch mIRC. mIRC should automatically connect to irc.gamesurge.net and join the Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith community channel #jk.
- People will commonly host a game and advertise the IP address in the IRC channel chat. If they are playing a specific map or mod, they will also include a download link along with their IP. You will need to copy the host's IP address from the chat so that you can paste it later when you are using "Internet TCP/IP Connection for DirectPlay" join method for Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith.
- If the host is using a community map or mod, follow these instructions to install it.
- Launch Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith, and choose "Multiplayer" at the main menu.
- Click "Join Game", and then click to select "Internet TCP/IP Connection for DirectPlay" and click OK.
- You will receive the message "Enter the computer name or IP address of the session host, or leave blank to search." Paste the host's IP address in this field by using the CTRL-V keyboard shortcut or right clicking in the field and left clicking "Paste".
- Click OK to search for the game. Under "Choose one of these games to join:" you will see (Searching...) for a few moments and then the host's game will appear. Left click the game to select and click Join.
- You need to make certain that all of your ports are open to host a game, including 47624 TCP and UDP.
- Visit http://whatismyip.com to determine your external IP address. Copy this IP address to your clipboard. It should appear in the format 184.108.40.206. You will need to provide other players with this address so that they can join your game.
- Advertise your game in the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith community channel. When advertising your game, it is important to specify the game (Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith), the level you are going to play, and optionally some additional details about your game.
- Example game advertisement: "220.127.116.11 - Canyon Oasis No Force Guns to 25 Points"
- It's a good idea to make sure your ports are forwarded properly before hosting a game with multiple players. Once you have configured your port settings, host a test game and ask another player to join it as a test.
- Launch Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith. At the Main Menu, click "Multiplayer".
- Click "Host Game" and configure the settings for the game. Click "OK".
- The game should now launch and players from the internet should be able to join your game.
- If players are unable to join your game, make sure your ports are forwarded correctly. It's also possible that a software firewall or antivirus suite is preventing Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith from making connections to the internet. Refer to the Change your router settings guide.