User registration has been temporarily disabled until I find a more effective way to stop spambots(The large-scale spambot attacks can also be attributed by my faillure to regularly update JKDF2.net's Joomla and phpBB installs). Registration is set to Admin approval, so I must review and approve all user registrations. I hate to prevent new users from registering, so please let me know if you have registered and your account has not be been activated.
I do have a wide range of improvements kicking around in my head. I would like to finish the long over due task of migrating content from the old site to Joomla. The forums also need to be cleaned up a bit. I'm kicking around some design improvement ideas as well.
Also, I would love to finally fullfill my dream of becoming a portal for all 5 DF/JK games - Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy. Too ambitious? Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check back soon!
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 was released on Steam just 3 months ago, along with Mysteries of the Sith. After LEC partnered with Steam to release some of it's older games, many speculated that JKDF2 would be thrown in the mix. This was a particularly exciting possibility due to the fact that a Steam release of JK could accompany some long-needed improvements to the game. Specifically, we all hoped that LEC would fix JK's compatibility problems with newer systems. The last few years have been plagued with reports of JK's problems with newer video cards, Windows Vista/7, and 64-bit CPU's - and this looked like a miracle from above. The result was a PR disaster for LucasArts. LEC released a stripped down version of the original 1997 distribution of Jedi Knight, omitting even the much-loved soundtrack that plays throughout the Single Player missions. Additionally, people who purchased JK on Steam discovered that they couldn't use EXE patches developed by the community due to Steam's anti hacking software. I'm just scratching the surface of this thing - be sure to do some reading at some of the links below. LEC made a bad situation worse, and put money before their loyal customers. Shame on you, LucasArts.
Massassi Discussion Thread - Jedi Knight on Steam
Steam's JK Page
Steam's JK Forum
Massassi Level Pack 2009: Ultimate Sith Edition, a Level Contest hosted by Massassi.net is in the works. Levels made for JK, MotS, Jedi Outcast, or Jedi Academy can be submitted. Read the full contest rules and discussion thread. Check out the level contest submissions showcase thread here. Also, be sure to check out some of the levels in progress on JKHub.net. The deadline has been pushed to Jan. 2nd, 2010.
A fix for 3D Acceleration problems with Jedi Knight has been developed by Emon and JKHub.net's ZeqMacaw "For those getting black background or weird artifacts when in-game when using 3d accel". This fix involves simply replacing the ddraw.dll in your Jedi Knight folder with the new modified one(Be sure to back up your original). You can download the fix here. Check this Massassi.net forum topic for more details. Report any of your graphics problems on this JKHub discussion thread.
As you may or may not know, LucasArts Entertainment Company (LEC) recently partnered with Valve to deliver LEC titles via Steam. Until now, we were all very curious as to whether or not any of the DF or JK titles would be provided via Steam.
Well guess what, we just got the news. :)
LEC's Twitter Page -> http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames
The original LEC/Steam press release -> http://store.steampowered.com/news/2644/
Official Discussion Thread -> http://jkdf2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4124
Some important things have come up recently, so I thought I ought to post a special news segment.
1) I have finally found a decent, unintrusive phpBB3 bridge that dosen't require PHP 5. It's called RokBridge. I have tested it on another site, and although it is still in pre-release development, it works quite well. This will go a long way towards improving JKDF2.net.
2) Wodz is offering to pay for a Zone.com recreation(Jedi Knight DirectPlay Lobby). Visit the thread here: http://jkdf2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3969
3) We need a new Jedi Knight Dedicated Server. I call on anyone in the community who is interested in providing a new JKDS to contact us and we can help you get set up. This is very important to the JK commmunity.
4) Something big is in the works that I can't discuss publically. At this stage, it's not a sure thing, but if it goes through we could see a huge boost to the community. Check back soon for updates.
Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.
Sorry for the lack of news posts guys, I've been busy(believe it or not). Here are two small updates.
- Added horizontal navigation links to JKDF2.net
- Updated IRC pages with the new JKDF2.net IRC Channel information (irc.synirc.net #jkdf2)
I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.
Today is, as us stateside dwellers are aware, Memorial Day. Be sure to take a short break from the fireworks and other festivities to consider the sacrifices that countless men and women have made to protect our freedom.
Also, be sure to pray for those who are currently serving in active duty in the protection of our country. A special thank you goes to SM_GrimR3, who is currently deployed in Iraq. If there are other members in our community who are currently deployed overseas, please be sure to let us know.
- The JKDF2.net Team
[removed image, it was too large for 1024x768 viewers. You can find it here.]
Darth Alran's "Dark Rift: The Worth of a Soul"
Latest JK and MotS News:
- JKDF2.net User Registration is temporarily disabled. We have been recieving huge amounts of spambot registrations and we hope this will help to curb the flow, at least for now. Please email us if you have any questions.
- Left 4 Dead is a new First Person Shooter for the PC that a number of Jedi Knight players are playing. Check it out: http://www.l4d.com
From the Massassi.net Showcase Forum
- Jedi Knight SP/MP Mod: Xzero's GlowSaberX -> Massassi Showcase Thread | JKHub Project Page
- Jedi Knight SP Level: Darth Alran's Dark Rift: The Worth of a Soul -> Massassi Showcase Thread | JKHub Project Page
- (Old News) Jedi Knight SP Total Conversion: FastGamerr's The Truth of the Destruction of Apocolopolis -> Massassi Showcase Thread | JKHub Project Page
- BeefCaike is working on a new MP Level called The Euphorium. Check it out.
- Xzero's has release a new Cog editor called "Cogged". Among other features, Cogged has support for new cog verbs. Check it out.
- TheSaiyanHog's The Dark Within, a project for MotS. Check it out.
The JK/MotS Weekly News Segment is a JKDF2.net Publication. Please direct any questions, comments, or news submissions to us at email@example.com.
I was a little late in getting this week's segment up. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. - ReT
Latest JK and MotS News:
- JKDF2.net now has an IRC channel! The Official JKDF2.net IRC Channel can be found at irc.synirc.net #jkdf2. mIRC QuickLink: irc://synirc.net/jkdf2. I will add this channel to JKDF2.net's IRC Applet shortly.
- The JKDF2.net IRC Log Archive has been established. It's a work in progress, but most of the 2004 logs are up. Check it out.
- A feed for the 5 latest IRC Logs and Text File Entries added to JKDF2.net can now be seen on the right side of every page. Links: IRC Logs | Text Entries
- I'm a little late in reporting this, but The Massassi Temple is celebrating it's 11th birthday. Although no longer a gaming-centered community, Massassi remains home to the single greatest collection of Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith addon maps and modifications. Visit Massassi at: http://massassi.net
- Remember Dark Forces? Some interesting Dark Forces (and, incidentally, Jedi Knight) discussion is going on over at Massassi. Forum Thread -> http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=54123
- Darth_Alran is apparently working on a sewer themed Level for Jedi Knight. Check out his post on the Massassi Showcase Forum -> http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=54151
- Xzero is putting a great deal of work into his latest project for Jedi Knight, a mod called GlowSaberX. Check out JKHub.net for more updates. Xzero's Massassi Showcase Thread can be found here.
- #JK Quote of the Week: STRATUSS_1> Ok, It's about 11:30 P.M., Sunday night, NOVMEBER 21, 2004 A.D......Let Me Call it a Night
Latest JK and MotS news:
- JKLauncher, a full featured component for Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith, is under major development. Request the private alpha on irc.synirc.net #jkhub. Watch the JKLauncher Project Page closely for updates.
- There has been some interest in a Ladder System (Remember Cases's Ladder?). If there is enough interest, I will set up a full featured ladder system on JKDF2.net. AcidRain has posted a thead here, please reply if interested.
- How to run JK on Vista -> 1) Create a shortcut to JK.EXE. 2) Open the properties for the shortcut. 3) Under Path, add -windowgui 4) Your path should now look something like this: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\JK.exe" -windowgui 5) Save your changes and launch JK from your shortcut. Post on the forums if you have any questions, and let us know how well this fix works.
- Darth Alran is releasing a whole bunch of industrial-themed textures. More information can be found on the project page. Download the texture packs here.
- Help I_Jedi figure out his Jedi Knight cutscene problem. Visit the Massassi forum thead.
- FastGamerr's "The Truth of the Destruction of Apocalopolis" map for Jedi Knight is looking epic. Check it out.
- There is a lot of discussion about Jedi Knight Enhanced (JKE) on the JediKnight.net forums. Click here to visit the thread. View screenshots here. Download JKE here.
We will be making an effort to post JK/MotS community news on a weekly basis. If you have any news, rumors, or other interesting information, email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- JKDF2.net is no longer hosting JK and MotS for download. I hope some people found the distros helpful while they were up.
- JKDF2.net Image Galleries are up. Check it out.
- JK Community IRC is becoming increasingly active. More Information.
- It is rumored that ZeqMacaw of JKHub.net is preparing to release an upadated JKLauncher. Check out the project page.
- BeefCaike is now hosting a Vent server(Voice Chat) for JK players: IP: 126.96.36.199 Port 3784. Download Vent here.
- SM_Sith_Lord has released a beta of his mod for JK, XtremeFinWarfare. Download it here.
- Edward has released a beta of his mod for JK, The Empire's Revenge: SE. He is also looking for assistance with a Crate cog for his level. Visit the thread.
- SM_Sith_Lord has started a thread on the JKDF2.net forums to compile a list of JK/MotS related website links. We need your submissions! Visit the thread.
- How to run Jedi Knight on Vista. Do the same instructions apply to Mysteries of the Sith? Someone let us know.
- MotS Player Call out! the class of 1998-2000 -> http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=178835
- MotS SP discussion on The Massassi Temple -> http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=53953
- Massassi Temple Staff Member CoolMatty calls JK/MotS "dead" on "The New Massassi" forum thread. Post on the thread and prove him wrong.
- BeefCaike has redesigned his website, the Dralloc Download Center: http://www.rvwalkthru.com/ddc
After a long hiatus, JKDF2.net is back. Tell your friends and family! Spread the word! Site and forums are fully functional. Please direct any questions, comments, or suggestions to us via email at email@example.com.
- Forums: http://jkdf2.net/forum
- Where to play page: http://jkdf2.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=61
- IRC: irc.gamesurge.net #jk
- IRC Applet: http://jkdf2.net/index.php?option=com_mospjirc&Itemid=74
(4/20: Links removed)
A big thank you goes to Wodz for paying the 2009 JKDF2.net renewal costs. I'm going to take this opportunity to remind everyone that JKDF2.net is only possible due to the donations of it's users. Please consider donating a few dollars to support JKDF2.net. For more information, please read the FAQ:
Or contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
In case you haven't noticed either the change in appearance nor the disabled state of the forums, the site is currently undergoing a full revamp from the bottom up. Unfortunately, this is a work in progress. As I continue to bulid upon the site in it's current form, the changes will be immediately visible. The forums are a bit trickier. Because of my past dependency on phpBB2 as a back-end for the "semi-CMS" that powered JKDF2.net in the past, the forums require a great deal of attention. I have moved the phpBB3 upgrade to http://jkdf2.net/forum - however, as I stated previously, the forums are disabled until I perform the aforementioned maintenence.
I'm not going to waste any time summarizing the highlights of the new JKDF2.net. I need to stop talking and get working. ;) To the operators of JKDF2.net hosted clan forums; I apologize for the downtime. Please direct any questions to me via email.
Lastly, an important note: A big thank you goes to the hundreds of Jedi Knight players who have registered on JKDF2.net since I first launched the site in March of 2005, a little over 4 years ago. All registered users will recieve a email notification upon the launch of the new site and forums.
Be sure to hang out on IRC in the meantime:
- JK Community: irc.gamesurge.net #jk
P.S. - For those of those curious about what JKDF2.net looked like in March of 2005, be sure to check it out: